Sunday 13 April 2008

Emotional day


Woke up at 7am this morning. It was a gorgeous morning, the sun was out, hardly any wind... Got ready and jumped on the tube about 7.50 to go down to Jess' for breakfast in Surrey keys. There were so many marathon runners on the tube and no surprise I got really emotional. Saw a girl that used to go to my gym and later turned out that she was running for HEART UK as well. She sat together with her friend and I really envied them, sitting there talking about the start, their worries... Opposite me sat a first time runner and a guy that had run a marathon before. Hearing the guy telling the first time runner what to expect... I really wish I was in their shoes and couldn't hold back the tears.
Started talking to a guy on the jubilee line and asked him if it was his first marathon, which it was. Once we started talking two other guys joined in the conversation and they asked about my leg. For a moment I felt like I was one of them, on my way to the start line. I got off the tube with a 'good luck and run for me as well'. I wonder how they did.

Had a really nice breakfast over at Jess' and then head up to Surrey Keys road where my charity HEART UK had their first cheering point. Carol was there and it was really nice to see a familiar face. Quiet a few HEART UK supporters turned up and we were in time to see the elite women, wheelchairs, elite men and the rest of the runners.

The sky literally opened up just before 11.30am and Jess and her flatmate Uma went back to theirs and I started heading up to Tower Hill for the biggest of HEART UK's cheering points. Couldn't find anyone I knew so slowly walked down towards Embankment. Stopped along the way where there was a hole in the crowd and watched the runners go by. Cheered on the girl from they gym, got emotional a few times but it was good to stand there and cheer on the runners.
Walked down to Embankment around 3.30pm and made my way up to Holiday Inn, Bloomsbury. Ran into one of the physio girls that was there at the get together. She told me to email her and she'll give me some tips on how to get back into running after my injury. Ran into Jeanie, one of the girls I've met twice before and spoken to quiet a bit. Was great to see her and hear that she completed it in around the time she was aiming for.
Were quiet a lot of supporters and runners there. Looked around to see if I could find someone else and when I couldn't I rang Jess and said that I was probably going to head home soon. Just felt really misplaced and it just made me sad that I wasn't there to share the joy and soar muscles. Despite the rain and hail today I really do wish I'd been running. I desperately wanted to be one of the runners getting on the tube this morning with a big expo bag, struggling with the tube stairs after the marathon. Instead I've been limping along on the side with my one redlaces running shoe, my running vest and my little HEART UK flag.

It's not really a surprise but unless my doctor strongly advices me against doing NY in November and London in the end of April, I'm going to pay my deposit on Wed and secure my place with Health unlimited.

No comments: